[PROPOSAL] TWiki and mirroring

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Aug 2 12:34:10 PDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-02 at 15:28 -0400, Anderson Lizardo wrote:

> Right, but can we test it first with your server? I'll shortly send a new mail
> explaining how things are going to be done. Basically, I can take care of the
> necessary script changes (there will be some). Regarding the rsync setup and
> the actual rsync command line to sync only the files changed (that we'll put
> on a post-commit hook script for SVN), you should handle it as you are
> certainly more familiar with rsync than me ;)

No problem, I'll work on setting up the test mirror.

> > Also, we wouldn't be using https as authentication, just a secure
> > encrypted connection so that passwords sent over the connection can't be
> > read, right?  If we did it that way, no current structure in the
> > authentication method needs to change, with the exception of moving the
> > TWiki method of encrypting passwords from crypt() to SHA1.
>
> That was the actual Jeroen's suggestion (as he clarified me on the other
> message): no HTTPS authentication, just "tunelling". But I thought that if we
> were going to enable HTTPS on the server, why not use its secure
> authentication feature? I'm ignoring possible complications on this approach,
> though. If you guys think using HTTPS for authentication is overkill for our
> purposes, let me know :)

Hmm.  Well, wouldn't switching to another authentication method would
mean even more readjusting of TWiki's code?  It might turn out to be a
big undertaking, whereas switching to SHA1 handling of passwords in
TWiki seems easy enough, (the code is already included, just used by
default for Windows machines only).  But I'd have to test both the SHA1
setup and read about https authentication to really be able to give a
fair comment.

--
Jeremy Huntwork
http://www.jenacon.net