[PROPOSAL] TWiki and mirroring

lfs at ds80-237-204-39.dedicated.hosteurope.de lfs at ds80-237-204-39.dedicated.hosteurope.de
Mon Aug 2 12:26:18 PDT 2004

On Sun, Aug 01, 2004 at 03:52:23PM -0400, Anderson Lizardo wrote:
> - I remember some people arguing that enabling edits only for belgarath would
> increase bandwidth usage. I offer a possible solution for this: additionally
> to having mirrors hosting static data, some which have no concerns regarding
> the items above can co-operate with belgarath on hosting the scripts and
> non-processed data (i.e. a complete TWiki installation). Those include
> possible mirrors which already host TWiki-powered projects and feel confident
> about it (as anyone else should :). The requirements for these "special"
> mirrors will be no different from what we have currently on
> http://test.linuxfromscratch.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/WebsiteMirrors.

I would like to help in mirroring the twiki (scripts/data/etc)
completely.  I read the link, and it does not sound so out of the
ordinary for requirements.

> - Move from our current CGI/Apache authentication method to https, as
> suggested by Jeroen. I have my doubts if the current method will work well
> with these cross-site redirections from "edit mode" to "view mode" and
> vice-versa. Additionally, CGI::Session likes to create small cookie files on
> server's /tmp dir (some belgarath users may have noticed how messed
> is /tmp :) and is not scalable enough, IMHO (the docs explain that Apache
> authentication becomes slower the bigger the .htpasswd database is).

I see.  I can see where https would be an advantage here.  Sounds like a
decent plan, and I look forward to seeing how it all progresses and later helping with the mirroring.

--
Justin R. Knierim
lfs at jrknierim dot de