News server works again

Jason Gurtz jason at tommyk.com
Mon Aug 2 06:51:32 PDT 2004

On 8/1/2004 12:07, Jeremy Huntwork wrote:

> You sure about that? I never used the news server, so maybe I'm working
> with half-knowledge here, but is the news server supposed to be reached
> at http://news.linuxfromscratch.org ?

No.  News uses it's own protocol, nntp, which has nothing to do with web
servers.  Some mail readers such as thunderbird and pine support nntp as
do dedicated news reader software such as pan, tin, slrn, etc...

Of course there is software available that makes news available on the
web, e.g. groups.google.com but that's separate.

Cheers,

~Jason