FW: LFS mirror

Stuart Harris stuart at althalus.me.uk
Sun Apr 25 19:29:54 PDT 2004


Aha!

So our new 1Gbps+ mirror is actually an err... 300Kbps mirror :P

It might be useful to put the average transfer requirements up on the site
under the mirroring section, and a definition of what bandwidth actually
is... 



> -----Original Message-----
> From: Bastiaan Jacques [mailto:baafie at planet.nl]
> Sent: 26 April 2004 04:54
> To: Stuart Harris
> Subject: Re: LFS mirror
> 
> Hi Stuart,
> 
> 
> A much clarifying email, thank you. I will reply below..
> 
> 
> Stuart Harris wrote:
> > Heavy snipping ;)... cc'd website as the bandwidth/hits might be of
> interest
> > to them... might be interesting to get a more overall picture :P ..
> Anyone
> > else bored enough to provide some hit stats? :)
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >>I am quoting my uplink provider's speed (which is 1gbit). But, as I also
> >>said, The network interface in my server is a 100mbit one, so I cannot
> >>burst more than 100mbit.
> >
> >
> > Ok, but if you use 100Mbps constantly throughout the month, you'll end
> up
> > incurring extra charges correct? Your 'bandwidth' is the average you are
> > permitted without incurring extra costs, typically this will be much
> lower,
> > it's normally called a 'bandwidth quota' - if you had a 300GB/month
> quota,
> > your actual bandwidth is in fact about 800Kbps.
> 
> I see now, when you say bandwidth you mean average bandwidth available,
> not maximum throughput. I've set a quota of 100GB/month for the mirror,
> so that would make about 300Kbit of your bandwidth ;).
> 
> >
> >
> >
> >>I.. don't think I can get more accurate, speed wise. The network is
> >>capable of 1gbit, but my server will not go beyond 100mbit (and that's
> >>what I pay for). So a listing of 100mbit would be correct, to my
> >>knowledge. I however have no idea what the bandwidth usage is for a LFS
> >>mirror site - so if you have information regarding that, I'd be
> >>interested in seeing it.
> >
> >
> > The amount of bandwidth depends totally on the location, my mirror
> (website)
> > has done 1.5GB of transfer this month so far.. averaging just under
> > 100MB/day HOWEVER a lot of this traffic is for glibc - which not every
> > mirror carries.
> >
> > FTP wise..
> > Packages.tar - 15GB
> > Glibc - 1.7GB
> >
> > Beyond that we don't offer much via FTP, so if you planned on running a
> full
> > mirror, you'd be looking at around 800MB-1GB of transfer daily between
> the
> > two (ftp and http).. So whilst there are a fair few mirrors, there is -
> > especially for FTP a lot of traffic... this is why quoting your capacity
> is
> > very important...
> 
> I haven't decided whether or not I want to mirror FTP, yet. Should I
> decide to do it, is there any procedure I should follow when setting it
> up/reporting it, etc?
> 
> >
> > If you do know what your bandwidth quota is then from that you can work
> out
> > your speed, if your not quoted how many other servers do you share this
> > 100mbps connection with.. This again can be used to judge your speed but
> it
> > is exceptionally unlikely that you have a dedicated 100Mbps connection -
> > unless your paying somewhere in the region of $20,000+ a month..
> >
> 
> Worked out the speed above :).
> 
> 
> With kind regards,
> 
> 
> Bastiaan Jacques.




More information about the website mailing list