Wiki Syntax for LFS Website (was: Re: Some Wiki evaluations (finally!))

Anderson Lizardo lizardo at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Apr 18 08:38:27 PDT 2004

On Tuesday 13 April 2004 03:14, Jeroen Coumans wrote:
> > BTW: all the three Wikis I tested had almost completely different
> > formatting rules. Is there a RFC or something like that to standardize
> > Wiki's formatting rules?
>
> No, unfortunately there isn't (yet - although Wiki makers are certainly
> discussing it; see
> <http://www.usemod.com/cgi-bin/mb.pl?WikiMarkupStandard>). Simplest case
> would be to plug in our own formatting rules. I really like something as
> <http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/> or
> <http://www.textism.com/tools/textile/> because they focus on proper
> markup and are easy to learn. How hard would it be to integrate any of
> them? It doesn't seem anyone has done it before though;
> <http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Codev/OtherSyntaxInUse>

My personal suggestion is http://txt2tags.sourceforge.net/. It's not primarily
intented for Wikis but can be used for this task. Its syntax is so simple
that you can read the marked text almost like any plain text file. Some
people even use it to write README files that are convertable to HTML, SGML,
man pages etc. It also has a filter to Wiki text (MoinMoin syntax, but we can
adapt it to the TWiki syntax).

But It's written in Python. Another reason for me to learn this language. :)

As you can see, there are many formatting rules out there. We should choose
one of them as our main syntax, though. Maybe this can be our first topic to
be discussed on TWiki? :)

> Don't let it come between your education, though ;-)

No problem; I'm getting to manage my schedule reasonable well (for now!).

lizardo at linuxfromscratch.org