Incorrect MD5 sums

Adam Richard g4c9z at unb.ca
Wed Apr 14 08:01:50 PDT 2004

When I went to download the individual packages for Linux From Scratch at:
http://lfs.oregonstate.edu/lfs/packages.html
they had a list of MD5 sums for each package.  I downloaded all the packages then
checked the MD5 sums with the output of the md5sum command.  For some of the patches,
they were different from some mirrors.  After investigating, I discovered that some
patches have a comment at the top saying "Submitted by: LFS book"....  Some mirrors
have patches with this comment and some don't, but they all show the MD5 sum for the
version that doesn't.  I'm sure the patches still work, but it is misleading to people
who are checking whether the download worked correctly.