Some Wiki evaluations (finally!)

Jeroen Coumans jeroen at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Apr 13 00:14:09 PDT 2004

Anderson Lizardo said the following on 04/13/04 02:14:
> We will probably
> stay with PhpWiki for wiki.linuxfromscratch.org anyway, to not lose the data
> already there.

Yep, perhaps in time we can import it, but for now people can use it as
Wiki was intended (without restrictions).

> I only tested it locally so I couldn't measure its performance properly. But I
> found twiki.org and freedesktop.org very fast to render. I found the built-in
> search engine specially fast also.

I especially like that it can search (specific sections of) the website.
Our current search function is still lacking that, as well as the
ability to search specific mailinglists.

>>I'd like some other text formatting rules.
>

> Possible by editing lib/TWiki/Plugins/DefaultPlugin.pm and adding our own
> rules. Not sure if we can do a complete set of PhpWiki-based formatting rules
> though.
>
> BTW: all the three Wikis I tested had almost completely different formatting
> rules. Is there a RFC or something like that to standardize Wiki's formatting
> rules?

No, unfortunately there isn't (yet - although Wiki makers are certainly
discussing it; see
<http://www.usemod.com/cgi-bin/mb.pl?WikiMarkupStandard>). Simplest case
would be to plug in our own formatting rules. I really like something as
<http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/> or
<http://www.textism.com/tools/textile/> because they focus on proper
markup and are easy to learn. How hard would it be to integrate any of
them? It doesn't seem anyone has done it before though;
<http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Codev/OtherSyntaxInUse>

>>I assume you take care of installation ;-) Good luck,
>
> Sure, along this week :)

Don't let it come between your education, though ;-)

FAQ and Website Maintainer