Bandwidth doing OK

Michael Stum michael at stum.de
Fri Sep 26 12:49:45 PDT 2003

I second that opinion. After i tried to download Redhat9 yesterday and
got either a "Too many anonymous users logged in" Message or an
incredible Download rate of about 6 KB/s, i see how important P2P can
be.
I think that BitTorrent can be used as Primary distribution channel, but
we need some more seeders. At the Moment, i am the only permanent seed,
and my line is a 128 Kbit Upload line - if we could install BitTorrent
on the LFS Server and encourage some Mirrors to install it as well, we
may have very good load balancing. If we have about 5 Permanent seeders,
that should already be enough.
LFS-4.1 Packages were downloaded 7 times since the Tracker is up (not
counting test Downloads), so at least it works. (Statistics are
available at http://www.stum.de/ BTW)

The FTP/HTTP Downloads should still stay (not everyone can install
BitTorrent on their Machine), but i think that BT should be the primary
source for the Packages Tarball.
Can you see how many People download the Tarball and how many get the
wget Script?

> Gerard, we really need to coordinate this effort a bit to
> make it work.
> There are people willing to share but if there aren't enough,
> downloading will be very slow and people will be disappointed.

Yup, as i said: I have 16k Upload rate and i am the only permanent
seeder at the moment. If we encourage the Mirrors to install BT, we can
balance the Load very good between the Servers (as i said, 5 or 6
seeders would be enough to start with).
(I prefer BT over *Donkey, because the latter one has a bad reputation)