Bandwidth doing OK

Jeroen Coumans jeroen at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Sep 26 02:57:54 PDT 2003

Hi Gerard Beekmans. You said the following on 09/26/03 02:50:
> Just to let you guys know, our bandwidth usage is within acceptable
> limits: around 2 GB/day now. We can use on average 2.5 GB a day (our
> monthly limit is 75 GB) so we're at least in the safe zone. We're still
> working on lessening this, but the heat is off.

Thank god, so this means we don't have to take any drastic and unpopular
measures for now?
I think we should stimulate the P2P initiative some more. We need to
make sure that a downloadable tarball exist for each book release. This
contains all the packages one needs, patches and those rendered copies
of the book, a list of MD5sums and the complete package digitally signed
with GPG. This also needs to be available *before* the release so we can
refer people to it in the announcement. I know Jeremy is helping with
distributing; make sure other people with bandwidth share this package.
Don't mention any http/ftp links so people will sooner install the
necessary software.
Gerard, we really need to coordinate this effort a bit to make it work.
There are people willing to share but if there aren't enough,
downloading will be very slow and people will be disappointed.

> That's a nice 25% traffic of just pretty pictures and stylesheets. I
> have gotten an email from Jeremy to the server-admin list regarding
> Caching. I've quickly looked into Apache's mod_expires module and it
> seems to do what we need. I'll look into this asap and have to figure
> out how to properly test this.

I also inquired on a CSS-expert list about caching and forwarded the
response to lfs-admin. It's a bit suspicious to me that these images and
stylesheets get redownloaded needlessly every session.
Be sure to test with the default browser settings and an empty cache...

FAQ and Website Maintainer