Images and CSS generating a lot of bandwidth

Craig Colton meerkats at bellsouth.net
Sat Sep 20 17:31:04 PDT 2003

On Friday 19 September 2003 07:29 pm, Jeroen Coumans wrote:
> Hi Gerard Beekmans. You said the following on 09/19/03 23:31:
> > So, I'm wondering if the images and stylesheets can't be shrunk in size?
>
> The stylesheet is already optimized for size - I can shave a couple of
> bytes off but nothing that will gain you much. Using long lines (no
> wrapping) already shrunk the size, removing the comments will gain .2kb
> (I just tried); which hardly seems worth removing since it's valuable
> information for maintainence.
>
> I've CC'ed Craig, maybe he knows some way to optimize the images, though
> I don't have much hope here either (maybe a couple of kb's without
> degrading the quality a lot?)

Hah! I'm glad someone got me thinking. By turning off interlacing, I reduced
the BLFS banner from 73 to 55KB - quite significant. All of the logos are
interlaced (I guess I had my reasons) - I had no idea that this would add to
the size.

 I think it would be pretty easy to convert all of these if we think this is a
good idea. I'm interested, because it'll probably make the logos load faster
on a slow connection. Give me a green light and I'll go ahead.

I can send you one to test if you like.

Regards,
Craig