Intelligent 404

Anderson Lizardo andersonlizardo at yahoo.com.br
Wed Sep 17 10:01:32 PDT 2003

Jeroen Coumans wrote:
> Hi,
> I checked the webalizer logs and the most served page is 404.html.
> Well, I know it's a nice and usefull page, but it's not nearly as
> nice as all the other content :-)
> Since PHP has been installed on the server it seems that we could
> serve our users better with an intelligent 404 page. I had the
> attached one archived but I know there are other ones. Please have a
> look at it if you know PHP (Jeremy?) and tell me if this is useful.
> Thanks,

Hi Jeroen,

I didn't look deeply on the PHP code, but this intelligent 404 function
seems to be an useful tool. One (important) example of its usage can be
to access outdated links to the mailing lists archives, hard-coded on
some archived messages (like
http://archive.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/lfs-dev/2003/03/0193.html).