Home for editor's manuals and other such supporting docos

James Robertson jwrober at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Sep 9 14:07:31 PDT 2003

Jeroen Coumans wrote:

> Hi James Robertson. You said the following on 09/09/03 16:41:
>
>> Actually, I thought of something else that goes with this.  We
>> probably need a development area on the site dedicated to this type of
>> stuff.  I proposed something in lfs-dev a little bit ago:
>>
>> http://archives.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/lfs-dev/2003-August/036547.html
>

> I agree that there should be a development area on the website. But I'd
> rather integrate a developers' section in the current framework then
> build a new structure like your proposal above. The current structure is
>  well-thought out based on the current practice and needs, while your
> proposed structure is IMHO a bit too much inspired by Mozilla's
> organizational structure and too LFS-centric.
> Consider the following alternative:
>
> Project:
>     * LFS News
>     * What is Linux From Scratch?
>     * Report a bug
>     * Download:
>           o Book Releases
>           o Current stable
>           o Current CVS
>           o Packages
>     * Read:
>           o Printed book
>           o Stable and translation
>           o Development (CVS)
>     * Develop:
>           o Roadmap
>           o Editors guide
>           o Developers Wiki
>
> I think the Editor's guide and the Wiki should be shared by LFS and
> BLFS, allthough each has their own flavour. So please use BLFS's editors
> guide and try to make it a generic one; perhaps with BLFS/LFS specific
> chapters.
>
> For initial writing of the docs, it's probably best to use the Wiki.
> Once they have stabilized, push them to me for inclusion on the website.
> Things like a roadmap don't change until a release so don't need to be
> dynamically generated. The editors guide should probably be in the same
> XML as LFS/BLFS.

I like this.  You are right that my other scenario came almost straight
from mozilla.  When ever you are ready, I am too.

I can also keep a static version of the current roadmap on the main
website - out of the wiki and then let roadmap discussion go in the
wiki.  So I see two roadmap links - one for the current set and one for
development.

Whenever you figure out where you want the LFS editors guide to go (the
one that is hosted on G's home dir), let me know.  I can move it (you
can move) or whatever.  Right now, I am just looking for the location
URI to put into another doc.

James