Hints WWW Patch

Jeroen Coumans jeroen at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Sep 7 19:08:05 PDT 2003

Hi Tushar Teredesai. You said the following on 09/06/03 19:04:
> Nah, that's ok. I can write out everything under
> www.linuxfromscratch.org/patches and www.linuxfromscratch.org/hints to
> keep everything coherent.

Okay cool :)

>>> Did you like my idea of making the DocumentRoot of
>>> patches.linuxfromscratch.org as
>>> <~httpd/www.linuxfromscratch.org/patches> instead of
>>> <~httpd/patches.linuxfromscratch.org>?
>>

>> I'm not sure what you mean?
>

> Currently the /etc/httpd/httpd.conf has
> <VirtualHost patches.linuxfromscratch.org>
>    ServerName patches.linuxfromscratch.org
>    ServerAdmin server-admin at linuxfromscratch.org
>    DocumentRoot /home/httpd/patches.linuxfromscratch.org
>    ErrorLog /var/log/httpd/patches.linuxfromscratch.org-error.log
>    CustomLog /var/log/httpd/patches.linuxfromscratch.org-access.log
> combined
>    <Directory /home/httpd/patches.linuxfromscratch.org>
>        Options IncludesNOEXEC Indexes FollowSymlinks
>    </Directory>
> </VirtualHost>
>
> If Gerard changes the DocumentRoot to
> /home/httpd/www.linuxfromscratch.org/patches then the same contents can
> be accessed as http://patches.linuxfromscratch.org or
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/patches.

Good idea, I wasn't aware of that; CC'ing admin so they can change it :)
As you can probably tell I don't have much experience running a
webserver, I only deal with html pages. I had to move some pages around
for the patches but that's okay. In patches/ we now have index.html
(mirror selection), news.html (dynamically generated CVS changelog) and
submit.html (project overview & submit instructions, default page).

The server change would also make my redirection pages unnecessary,
which is actually better, not only because they flash for a few seconds
before your browser loads the appropriate one, but also because they
don't work for every browser. Server-side redirection is a much cleaner
solution - I'll see if Gerard can do this for the other subdomains too.

FAQ and Website Maintainer