Hints WWW Patch

Tushar Teredesai tushar at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Sep 5 22:17:47 PDT 2003

Attached is a patch to the current webpage. It removes one file
(acknowledgements.html) and adds one file (sample-hint.txt).

In addition, I recommend making the left menu items are follows. I was
planning to change it in the files, but since you mentioned that your
html editor is fancier than mine (vi) in changing multiple files, I will
just mention the structure here.

    Project

        News (news.html)
        Overview (whatarehints.html)
        Submission Guidelines (submit.html)
        Adopt a Hint (adoptahint.html)
        Read Hints (list.html)

    Downloads

        Attachments (hints.lfs.org/downloads/attachments)
        Individual Hints (hints.lfs.org/downloads/files) -> Read Hints
        will finally link here.

Also, every nite (or whenever the website is updated) I would like to do
an export of a CVS repository to hints.lfs.org/downloads/files/ and once
that is done a script goes thru all the hint files and generates a
list.html (format mentioned below). Can you put this on the 2Do List?

The format for each hint entry in the list.html is as follows (the html
tags are just for reference, they may be replaced for more appropriate
ones):

    <li><a
    href="http://hints.linuxfromscratch.org/downloads/files/hint_file.txt"
    title="hint_file.txt">The synopsis line from the hint file.</a><br>
    <b>Author(s):</b> All Author lines from the hint seperated by
    commas.<br>
    <b>Date Last Updated:</b> Date Last updated picked from the hint
    file.<br>

The hints should be sorted in the reverse order based on the Date Last
Updated, so newest hints would go at the top. The script only needs to
index the hints that are in the root directory (downloads/files) and
should ignore any subdirectories.

I finally browsed around the website. You have done a wonderful job.
Congrats on giving the site such a huge upgrade.

--
Tushar Teredesai
   http://www.geocities.com/tushar/