URL updates

Tushar Teredesai linux_from_scratch at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 5 15:40:32 PDT 2003

[Replying to website at ... since that is a more appropriate list.]

Jeroen Coumans wrote:

> Hi Tushar Teredesai. You said the following on 09/05/03 16:52:
>
>> How about symlinking ~httpd/beyond.linuxfromscratch.org to
>> ~httpd/www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs (and doing the same thing for
>> other projects)?
>
> That was the initial plan, but it failed miserably. The main problem
> is that relative links which point to the parent directory aren't
> followed when you access beyond.lfs.org. And there are relative links
> on every page so mirrors can copy the complete site instead of just
> one section.

How about having the root directory of each subdomain pointing to the
appropriate subdirectory under www. Currently the root directory for
patches.linuxfromscratch.org is <~httpd/patches.linuxfromscratch.org>.
Instead of that if it is made to be
<~httpd/www.linuxfromscratch.org/patches> and if all the webpages only
use relative linking, then everything should work as expected. Users can
then access the site as <http://patches.linuxfromscratch.org> or
<http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/patches/>.

> So in order to circumvent that and keep the subdomains working, I
> placed the redirection pages (allthough it should be redirected
> server-wise but that was a bit of a hassle to setup unprepared).

How will the website be handling the hints and the patches downloads?
Currently the hints and patches are exported from the CVS to a directory
under their respective website.

I will be working on the hint pages and the CVS this weekend. Will send
you the patches soon.

--
Tushar Teredesai
  mailto:tushar at linuxfromscratch.org