Patches to Patches website

Tushar Teredesai tushar at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Sep 3 20:39:14 PDT 2003

Jeroen Coumans wrote:

> Hi Tushar Teredesai. You said the following on 09/03/03 16:43:
>
>> Based on the recent discussion started by DJ Lucas, I think the plan
>> is to host all the patches on patches.lfs.
>
> Ok. Let's do it this way, which I think is better:
> host patches for the LFS/BLFS books like this:
> http://patches.linuxfromscratch.org/downloads/{b}lfs-stable/
> http://patches.linuxfromscratch.org/downloads/{b}lfs-cvs/
> http://patches.linuxfromscratch.org/downloads/hints/
>
> Maintaining patches in these directories can be handled with symlinks
> to the original location, Gerard recently enabled this on the server.
>
> I will add a link in LFS, BLFS and Hints under the Download section to
> http://patches.linuxfromscratch.org/downloads/{hints,{b}lfs-stable}/
> and add a link for CVS on the CVS information page. How's that?

I don't think there is any needs for patches for the CVS version of the
book since it is only used by developers. I am planning on asking the
hint authors to submit a tarball of all the items that would be needed
so that users can directly download it along with the hint.

I think the following looks appropriate

    * patches.lfs.org/blfs/{1.1,...} -> Patches for released versions of
      LFS Books.
    * patches.lfs.org/lfs/{5.0,...} -> Patches for released versions of
      BLFS Books.
    * patches.lfs.org/downloads -> All patches.

Also, patches.lfs.org needs to point to the main mirror page as done for
the other lfs family sites. The current patches.linuxfromscratch.org
contents can be removed since all patches are in CVS.

Also, in my personal bin directory is a script to export the cvs archive
for patches to patches.lfs.org/downloads (shamelessly copied from the
hints update script). This needs to be run every nite along with the
other nightly cron jobs.

BTW, the Site Map structure is out of date.

--
Tushar Teredesai
   http://www.geocities.com/tushar/