Patches to Patches website

Jeroen Coumans jeroen at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Sep 3 08:51:58 PDT 2003

Hi Tushar Teredesai. You said the following on 09/03/03 16:43:
> Based on the recent discussion started by DJ Lucas, I think the plan is
> to host all the patches on patches.lfs.

Ok. Let's do it this way, which I think is better:
host patches for the LFS/BLFS books like this:
http://patches.linuxfromscratch.org/downloads/{b}lfs-stable/
http://patches.linuxfromscratch.org/downloads/{b}lfs-cvs/
http://patches.linuxfromscratch.org/downloads/hints/

Maintaining patches in these directories can be handled with symlinks to
the original location, Gerard recently enabled this on the server.

I will add a link in LFS, BLFS and Hints under the Download section to
http://patches.linuxfromscratch.org/downloads/{hints,{b}lfs-stable}/ and
add a link for CVS on the CVS information page. How's that?

>> Also, if the page gets too big, we could split it up. The download
>> frontend (table) should probably get it's own page. Allthough that
>> wont be a worry untill the scripts which create this table have
>> actually written :)
>

> It is much easier to download patches in its current form. The main
> thing people are interested in is "What patches are available for
> package X?" which is solved by the current structure. The other thing
> they are interested in is "Which patches have been added recently?"
> which is solved by the CVS changelog. That's the reason I commented out
> that part about creating a script.

Ok that's fine by me. I'll remove it completely from the page then.

> You could test them out on lfs.org server. Once the official site is
> launced, you have test.linuxfromscratch.org as your playground :)

Maybe for the next summer holiday :)

>> Multi-file editing with search and replace can do what SSI do too so
>> I've never bothered. I'm not opposed to the idea but ATM it's more
>> work for me then my current method.
>

> I brought up the point because the left index table is out of sync for
> the hints pages. Thought I should inquire before submitting a patch.

Ah yes - that list /should/ be generated automatically. Untill then,
we'll need to patch it everytime you add a hint. Can you whip up a patch
(or tell me which hints need to be added)?

FAQ: http://linuxfromscratch.org/faq/ (faq at linuxfromscratch.org)