Patches to Patches website

Tushar Teredesai tushar at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Sep 3 07:43:38 PDT 2003

Jeroen Coumans wrote:

> Hi Tushar Teredesai. You said the following on 09/03/03 08:08:
>
>> Attached:)
>>
>> In addition, a directory "download" will have to be created under
>> patches.linuxfromscratch.org where the patches will be downloaded
>> from CVS at regular intervals.
>>
>> In addition, could a link be created in the "Download" link in the
>> left column to point to
>> <http://patches.linuxfromscratch.org/downloads/>?
>
> I've divided (or abstracted) navigation in Project-specific and
> General navigation (#projectnav and #generalnav), resp. left and right
> column. For long pages I've added Page-specific navigation (#pagenav).
> In which Project-specific navigation menu do you want a link to the
> patches? I'm not sure if it's appropriate, since "official" patches
> will be hosted on downloads.lfs.org. Or is the
> patches.lfs.org/download meant to replace that as a central location
> for patches? Please elaborate :)

Based on the recent discussion started by DJ Lucas, I think the plan is
to host all the patches on patches.lfs.

> Also, if the page gets too big, we could split it up. The download
> frontend (table) should probably get it's own page. Allthough that
> wont be a worry untill the scripts which create this table have
> actually written :)

It is much easier to download patches in its current form. The main
thing people are interested in is "What patches are available for
package X?" which is solved by the current structure. The other thing
they are interested in is "Which patches have been added recently?"
which is solved by the CVS changelog. That's the reason I commented out
that part about creating a script.

>> Also, while I was modifying the code I noticied that the code for the
>> various columns is repeated in multiple places. IMO, it would be more
>> efficient to create seperated files and use server side includes.
>> Apologies if this has already been discussed.
>
> Yes, and PHP too. It has not been discussed, and the only reason I
> didn't use them is because I've never used them and I can't test them
> locally (unless I install apache & friends of course).

You could test them out on lfs.org server. Once the official site is
launced, you have test.linuxfromscratch.org as your playground :)

> Multi-file editing with search and replace can do what SSI do too so
> I've never bothered. I'm not opposed to the idea but ATM it's more
> work for me then my current method.

I brought up the point because the left index table is out of sync for
the hints pages. Thought I should inquire before submitting a patch.

--
Tushar Teredesai
   http://www.geocities.com/tushar/