Site problem..

Anderson Lizardo andersonlizardo at yahoo.com.br
Fri Nov 28 08:39:46 PST 2003

Jeroen Coumans wrote:
> Hi Stuart Harris - Chief Systems Engineer Intermedia. You said the
>
> following on 11/27/03 16:16:
> > Why not use slightly more absolute links.... ?
>
> The problem isn't absolute or relative links but the self-closing
> javascript. It should be <script ..></script> instead of <script ..
> /> Somehow, the erroneous version is used for the news files. Like I
> said, it's probably mungled by one of the scripts which generate the
> site; which means I have to wait until Anderson responds (or if you
> know perl; checkout the www module and have a look for yourself).

I'm using Firebird now, so I didn't noted the problem. The strange thing
is that even xmllint validated the XHTML code as valid, so my question
is: on XHTML, tags with empty content (eg. "<script></script>") can be
written like empty element tags ("<script />")?

Anyway, you're right, it was a problem with manage_news.pl. When in
archiving mode, the script parses the templates looking for relative
links and modify them when apropriate. The parser (HTML::Parser) does
not differentiate empty element tags (eg. "<br />") from tags with
empty content (eg. "<p></p>"), so I had to add a regex for, when find a
tag with empty content, convert it to empty element tag. Wrong
assumption, I see now.

The code is fixed now. BTW, Jeroen, can you edit the
archive-{top,bottom}.html templates and change URLs like

../../scripts/styleswitcher.js

to absolute ones like

/scripts/styleswitcher.js

The manage_news.pl script will convert them back to relative URLs while
parsing the files. This format will simplify some parts of the script a
lot.

Thanks,