Scripts...

Anderson Lizardo andersonlizardo at yahoo.com.br
Thu Nov 20 15:52:05 PST 2003

Jeroen Coumans wrote:
> Hi Anderson Lizardo. You said the following on 11/19/03 02:19:
> > There is also the search engine rewrite and the voting poll. I will
> > stay with these TODO items for now, and work on the CMS later. As
> > you said, our current system is working for months without (m)any
> > problems. :)
>
> Also there are no features which a CMS would bring us that we
> require, except for the poll system. But this feels much more "from
> scratch", doesn't it :-)

Yes, but only if we are not reinventing the wheel ;-). We are not doing
it yet, but soon, when we need more features, a CMS implementation will
become necessary and even more productive.

The main reason that stops me from starting the migration right now is
the possible problems we could find related to mirroring. A PHP site is
easy to mirror, AFAIK. Just enable PHP on all mirrors. But what about
Perl-based CMS (like Slashcode)? It may require additional modules that
some mirrors may not have or even may not be interested on installing
them. We need to discuss this before starting any tests. If we conclude
that a CMS implementation is possible with our current resources
(including mirrors), we then may start the migration plans.

Backing to the present... :o)

> Oh btw. can you make an adjustment to the news pages though:
> currently we have the following:
> [...]
> Is that possible? Thanks again,

If I understood it right, the only modification needed is to output only
the latest news item and add URLs pointing to the next 5 ones. If so,
yes, I think it's possible and easy to implement.

See ya,