RFC: styleswitcher

Jeroen Coumans jeroen at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Nov 15 09:25:43 PST 2003

Heya,
Question: which styleswitch method would be best to implement for us? A
javascript-based approach or a server-side approach with PHP?
http://www.alistapart.com/articles/phpswitch/ or
http://www.alistapart.com/articles/alternate/

Both are easy to implement and require the addition of a link to a
javascript or a php file. I assume the javascript would be better
because not all mirrors have PHP, right?

Example of the javascript solution is at
http://linuxfromscratch.org/~jeroen/styleswitch/lfs/news.html. To select
a different stylesheet, scroll down to the footer and click a link. The
link will save a cookie so your preference is automatically saved.
Mozilla/Opera users can also use browser controls to select a different
stylesheet. Note that I only enabled this functionality in
lfs/news.html, if this method is to be used I'll also add it to the
other files.

FAQ and Website Maintainer