Redesign concept

Jeroen Coumans jeroen at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Nov 13 09:22:43 PST 2003

Hi Richard A Downing FBCS. You said the following on 11/13/03 17:49:

> The main reason I don't like the 2-col is the wasted space at
> the bottom of col1 to enable col2 to start with a whole article.

Hopefully, Anderson will be able to make some small changes in the
scripts so that only the first newsitem will be displayed fully and
beneath it a list of 5 or 10 most recent items. The height between these
two should differ less, thus taking away most of the disadvantage.

> I guess maybe I would have an index of news stories at the top,
> categorised Project and General, then put the articles themselves
> below, unordered. Since they are 'news' there can't be many.

That could work too, but still requires a click before the news is
displayed. And it would be more difficult to navigate and grasp for
users ("why are the top links categorised while the articles aren't?")

> But whatever you do, someone won't like it.  All the revised
> 'offerings' are better than the current three column - split menu
> page, it makes me cross-eyed!  My favourite web pages are simple
> - I really can't stand the msn/yahoo style - and I'm pleased you
> didn't try to emulate them.

It's possible to satisfy 99% by offering alternate stylesheets. Although
  that's a lot of work...

FAQ and Website Maintainer