Redesign concept

Richard A Downing FBCS geek109 at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 13 08:49:37 PST 2003

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 16:40:53 +0100
Jeroen Coumans <jeroen at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

> Hi Richard A Downing FBCS. You said the following on 11/13/03
> 16:11:
> > I really dislike this two column stuff.  It just makes a
> > cluttered look. Someone said two-col didn't work on the web,
> > and I agree.
>
> I said that! :)
> However, I meant that to apply for two columns which lead into
> each other, like a newspaper article. Multiple columns for
> different types of content is often used. The news page really
> puts me in a dilemma. On the one hand, I agree that single
> column is less cluttered, on the other hand, I don't want to
> prioritize news. If I update the general news section, it goes
> by allmost unnoticed because you have to scroll to see it. Same
> thing for the CVS logs. Perhaps a better solution would be to
> drop the distinction between project news and general news,
> although that requires quite some changes. Thoughts?

I see your point.  Difficult.

Well, since I monitor all the newsgroups, I seldom take much
notice of the news on the website. I should say that straight up.

The main reason I don't like the 2-col is the wasted space at
the bottom of col1 to enable col2 to start with a whole article.
I guess maybe I would have an index of news stories at the top,
categorised Project and General, then put the articles themselves
below, unordered. Since they are 'news' there can't be many.

But whatever you do, someone won't like it.  All the revised
'offerings' are better than the current three column - split menu
page, it makes me cross-eyed!  My favourite web pages are simple
- I really can't stand the msn/yahoo style - and I'm pleased you
didn't try to emulate them.

--
Cheers, Richard

Richard A Downing FBCS

Anyone  sending  unwanted  advertising   e-mail
to this address will be charged $25 for network
traffic and computing time.   By  extracting my
address from  this  message or its  header, you
agree to these terms.