Redesign concept

Richard A Downing FBCS geek109 at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 13 07:11:00 PST 2003

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 14:39:15 +0100
Jeroen Coumans <jeroen at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

> Hi Bill Maltby, LFS Organizational. You said the following on
> 11/13/03 13:32:
> > <http://linuxfromscratch.org/~bill/news_html.png>
>
> Ugh that's ugly. It seems to be a bug with NN-6 floats, but I'm
> not sure. I've just uploaded a new version to
> http://linuxfromscratch.org/~jeroen/newstest/lfs/news.html
> which has some fixes, perhaps this solves it.
>
> >>http://linuxfromscratch.org/~jeroen/2colnews-fb-0.7.png
> >

> > Yep. Previous versions looked very similar to that. In fact,
> > the one I last tested is the only one that had a mess-up. I
> > don't know why all the others looked reasonable (but for the
> > horizontal bars on "F", "T","t",... on one of the versions)
> > and that last one I looked at was so scrambled.
>
> So this means that you did see the two-column news layout
> correctly in NN-6.2.3, and only the latest version broke?
>
> > Good grief! How in the world do you deal with all the
> > "standardization" out there?
>
> Start with the official standard, make it work in the most
> compliant UA's (MozillaFirebird & Opera), add hacks &
> workarounds for older & buggier browsers (Netcape <7, Opera<7,
> all versions of Internet Explorer). I now have it working in
> Mozilla => 1.0.2, Opera-7, Internet Explorer 6. I'm not sure if
> Konqueror can do it too, even CVS has major problems with this
> layout. I'll just create a dumber layout specifically for it.
>
> --
> Jeroen Coumans (jeroen at linuxfromscratch.org)
> FAQ and Website Maintainer
> {faq,website}@linuxfromscratch.org
> www.jeroencoumans.nl

I really dislike this two column stuff.  It just makes a
cluttered look. Someone said two-col didn't work on the web, and
I agree.

I liked the drop-down menus in the other version a lot.

--
Cheers, Richard

Richard A Downing FBCS

Anyone  sending  unwanted  advertising   e-mail
to this address will be charged $25 for network
traffic and computing time.   By  extracting my
address from  this  message or its  header, you
agree to these terms.