Redesign concept

Jeroen Coumans jeroen at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Nov 13 05:39:15 PST 2003

Hi Bill Maltby, LFS Organizational. You said the following on 11/13/03
13:32:
> <http://linuxfromscratch.org/~bill/news_html.png>

Ugh that's ugly. It seems to be a bug with NN-6 floats, but I'm not
sure. I've just uploaded a new version to
http://linuxfromscratch.org/~jeroen/newstest/lfs/news.html which has
some fixes, perhaps this solves it.

>>http://linuxfromscratch.org/~jeroen/2colnews-fb-0.7.png
>

> Yep. Previous versions looked very similar to that. In fact, the one I
> last tested is the only one that had a mess-up. I don't know why all the
> others looked reasonable (but for the horizontal bars on "F", "T","t",
> ... on one of the versions) and that last one I looked at was so
> scrambled.

So this means that you did see the two-column news layout correctly in
NN-6.2.3, and only the latest version broke?

> Good grief! How in the world do you deal with all the "standardization"
> out there?

Start with the official standard, make it work in the most compliant
UA's (MozillaFirebird & Opera), add hacks & workarounds for older &
buggier browsers (Netcape <7, Opera<7, all versions of Internet
Explorer). I now have it working in Mozilla => 1.0.2, Opera-7, Internet
Explorer 6. I'm not sure if Konqueror can do it too, even CVS has major
problems with this layout. I'll just create a dumber layout specifically
for it.

FAQ and Website Maintainer