Redesign concept

Bill Maltby, LFS Organizational bill at nospam.dot
Thu Nov 13 04:32:21 PST 2003

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003, Jeroen Coumans wrote:

> Hi Bill Maltby, LFS Organizational. You said the following on 11/13/03
> 04:55:
> > On Wed, 12 Nov 2003, Jeroen Coumans wrote:
> >
> >>http://linuxfromscratch.org/~jeroen/newstest/lfs/news.html
> >>

> > A big-time mess-up in the left column. Lines are overwriting each other
> > in NS 6.2.3. I can make out the "Read" heading and some of the entries
> > under it. The are overlaying the news. Oh! And the "W3C" logo stuff,
> > "back to the top" starts righ under the "LFS-specific new" heading of
> > the left column.
> >
> > I went ot max resolution, maxed the screnn and "reload". No change in
> > appearance.
>
> Care to provide a screenshot? I tested the above page in Mozilla-1.0.2,
> 1.1, 1.2.1, 1.3.1, 1.4.1 and 1.5. All displayed it as in this screenshot:
> http://linuxfromscratch.org/~jeroen/2colnews-moz102.png

Too big to post - I left it at full screen, max res. You can get it
from

<http://linuxfromscratch.org/~bill/news_html.png>

> Netscape-6.2.3 is still based on the really old mozilla-0.9.4, I'm not
> sure if I should work around bugs present in a release that old...
> If you're geek enough to use Mozilla or Netscape, at least upgrade to
> the latest version ;-)

matter of time and caution: the host is a 586 (and 6.2.3 *says* 686)
with a RH 6.2 (libc-2.1.3). Just wanted something later than the 4.79 NS
I was running that worked with my OL banking apps. This did it.

Figured I'd be getting Moz on my LFS box soon (if I can get by the Java
source compile), so why pull more and more and more.

I was *guessing* that NS 7.* wouldn't run there. *sigh* Maybe I'll put
it's binary on my LFS platform.

> The following is the best display you can get:
> http://linuxfromscratch.org/~jeroen/2colnews-fb-0.7.png

Yep. Previous versions looked very similar to that. In fact, the one I
last tested is the only one that had a mess-up. I don't know why all the
others looked reasonable (but for the horizontal bars on "F", "T","t",
... on one of the versions) and that last one I looked at was so
scrambled.

> Konqueror-3.12 and CVS have horrible bugs with the floats; the
> navigation on the right also has a tendency to disappear. Opera 7
> displays it just like the Mozilla's, but Internet Explorer 6 is even
> worse then Konqueror, it doesn't want to push the changelog below the
> other news but insists on placing it right next to them.

Good grief! How in the world do you deal with all the "standardization"
out there?

--
Bill Maltby,
LFS Organizational