Redesign concept

Bill Maltby, LFS Organizational bill at nospam.dot
Wed Nov 12 19:47:21 PST 2003

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003, Jeroen Coumans wrote:

> Hi Bill Maltby, LFS Organizational. You said the following on 11/12/03
> 18:03:
><snip>

Did you get my post with the snapshot? In there I mention, IIRC, that the
"Contribute", "Help and contact:" and "About this website:" items aren't
(apparently) links, but the cursor changes to text form. Just
double-checking. It still does that on the fixedwidth one too.

> > And you know someone else is going to complain about all that empty
> ><snip>

> I think it would be a bad idea to have more columns for content then
> necessary, because you'd be scrolling up and down to read the same
> artice. Just because multiple columns works on print layout, doesn't
> mean it works in online context.

Gotcha.

> Also, I can handle the complaints about empty columns. It's mostly a
> psychological effect - have a look at
> http://linuxfromscratch.org/~jeroen/fixedwidthtest/lfs/news.html
> (content + navigation) and

well, the part below the header and nav links is essentially back to
original now (menu down right side) but without the coloring in the
right side. When I scroll down, I still notice the empty space, but it's
not a big issue for me.

> http://linuxfromscratch.org/~jeroen/fixedwidthtest/donation.html (only
> content); tell me if the fixed width is bothersome or helps readability.

You mean the fonts? They're awful here. Horizontal bars missing on 'F',
'f' and 't'. Probably other issues too. But I can always revert to my NS
specified fonts if those fonts look good in other browsers.

I can't judge readability weel with those distractions. Iset the font to
adobe-times-iso8859-1 and it looks much better. For me, it's very
readable. But I would really need to see a similar proportional one to
judge.

I think folks whit a better "eye" for these things would have to judge.

Navigation is looking more attractive to me. I see the "Patches" at the
top - it's placement seems to make sense there. I see Bugzilla on the
right side. It's ok there, I quess. I don follow the rational of having
those three items titled "Project:" though. Oh! Maybe that denotes three
areas of interest for the currently selected project? If so, that makes
sense now.

When I go to "Patches" screen, the line beginning with "General
information", "Submit patches" is indented and causes wrapping of the
"All patches" entry (keep in mind my screen is slightly narrowed). I
think if you remove the indent it will still be just as attractive and
reduce the chance of wrapping that last entry.

Might want to change "The changes are frmm last month" to "These changes
are from the last month"?

> > I don't know if it's feasible, but I think it could look pretty good and
> > shorten the overall page length or allow more to be retained if needed.
> >
> > Maybe I'm jumping to soon here - do you already have other plans for
> > that unused area?
>
> I'm thinking about multiple columns for the three news categories, eg.
>
> | LFS News | General News | Changelog | Navigation
>
> However, this would mean a four-column layout, which is pretty tight in
> small screens. Perhaps by using floats I can achieve a nice effect, I'll
> have to experiment a bit with it.

Overall, I like the navigation better. I can get right to patches,
bugzilla entry makes sense, overall screen traversal by mouse is
reduced. I like the direction it's going.

--
Bill Maltby,
LFS Organizational