Redesign concept

Jeroen Coumans jeroen at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Nov 12 11:34:57 PST 2003

Hi Bill Maltby, LFS Organizational. You said the following on 11/12/03
18:03:

> Ok, got it I think. I see "... Hints   Patches" in the top menu now.
> Looks good. If we can't use the menu down the right side and stick with
> this one, can we dupe the two set of menus at the bottom as I've seen
> don on many sites? That way if you've scrolled down to the bottom, you
> can select a new destination right there without having to go back to
> the top.

I think the "Back to the top" links in each footer are a sufficient
shortcut so we don't need to duplicate navigation.

> And you know someone else is going to complain about all that empty
> space where the right-side menu used to be. Is it possible to then turn
> the news area into a "two column" format? Maybe reduce the current width
> and then have each article "wrap" into the next column? That would get
> more of longer articles on the "first" page and when <PGDN>, more of it,
> or the next article, etc.

I think it would be a bad idea to have more columns for content then
necessary, because you'd be scrolling up and down to read the same
artice. Just because multiple columns works on print layout, doesn't
mean it works in online context.

Also, I can handle the complaints about empty columns. It's mostly a
psychological effect - have a look at
http://linuxfromscratch.org/~jeroen/fixedwidthtest/lfs/news.html
(content + navigation) and
http://linuxfromscratch.org/~jeroen/fixedwidthtest/donation.html (only
content); tell me if the fixed width is bothersome or helps readability.

> I don't know if it's feasible, but I think it could look pretty good and
> shorten the overall page length or allow more to be retained if needed.
>
> Maybe I'm jumping to soon here - do you already have other plans for
> that unused area?

I'm thinking about multiple columns for the three news categories, eg.

| LFS News | General News | Changelog | Navigation

However, this would mean a four-column layout, which is pretty tight in
small screens. Perhaps by using floats I can achieve a nice effect, I'll
have to experiment a bit with it.

FAQ and Website Maintainer