Redesign concept

Jeroen Coumans jeroen at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Nov 12 03:29:24 PST 2003

Hi Bill Maltby, LFS Organizational. You said the following on 11/11/03
22:15:

>>Obvious changes:
>>* content has a semi-fixed left-centered width ( width: 70%; min-width:
>>30em; max-width: 50em;). This should improve legibility.
>

> Using a binary install of NS Nav 6.2.3 on my RH 6.2 machine, looks
> pretty nice. I like the overall look and feel.

I take it you liked the semi-fixed content width too? Or do you fance
the current fluid navigation more?

>>* General navigation is condensed into a menu just below the header.
>>This makes it more obviously a part of the "standard" navigation, just
>>like the section links above the header
>

> Can the ones above the header be enlarged to about the same size as
> those below the header without offending the esthetics of the page? The
> ones below are nicely visable (maybe aided by proximity to the white
> news column) while the ones above are almost unnoticed. This is with my
> screen resolution at second lowest (i.e. largest fonts). At higher res,
> the ones below still stand out nicely while the top ones become even
> less noticable.

Take a look again; I've made them exactly like the general navigation.
Seems good for consistency too since both navigation lists transcendent
project-specific navigation. Also, did you know you can change your font
sizes with [ctrl]+[+]? You can also set a minimum font-size in capable
browsers... (all browsers except IE).

>>All comments welcome of course.
>

> Overall, I think it is nice enhancement. One thing I noticed that
> sparked a thought. As I scroll down the news, the menu on the right
> scrolls with it. It would be handy if that could stay center on the
> screen (I guess this is separate "frames"). Not a biggie, just happend
> to think of it as all that blank space appeared on the right as I
> scrolled.

I could fix the location of the right menu but it would be at the
bottom, otherwise it would overlap the header. Have a look, it's a
pretty trivial change. I don't like it but I can see how it's useful.

> Wording: would still lke to see "Report a Bug" changed to something that
> does make one think it's *only* for reporting, but is also for inquiry.
> My pref is either jsut "Bugs", "Bugzilla" or "Report/Query Bugs" or
> similar.
>
> Also, I would still like to see patches right there too. I feel I don't
> need to go through a book to see/select the appropriate patch all the
> time. Often I'm working with a local copy of the book (maybe text) and
> when I hit the site, I'd like to click "Patches" and go straight there
> (or "Pick a Mirror" and into its copy of the patches dir, if thats
> necessary).

Have adjusted that, will commit in a sec.

> Overall, I like the more compact layout. Of course I would still prefer
> that *everything* was the way *I* wanted.  ;)

Create your own stylesheet to override the one online :)

> I think after the "website"-monitoring folks have their say, and you do
> any adjustments, you might want to give the *-dev lists a shot too. I
> think it should garner mosty positive responses.
>
> Good work! :))

Thanks for your comments :)

FAQ and Website Maintainer