Redesign concept

Craig Colton meerkats at bellsouth.net
Tue Nov 11 18:05:53 PST 2003

On Tuesday 11 November 2003 01:39 pm, Jeroen Coumans wrote:
> Yeah I know, the current design is barely a couple of months old,
> consider this a refinement (also based on the discussion with Bill some
> time age):
> http://linuxfromscratch.org/~jeroen/twocolumntest/lfs/news.html
>
> All these changes are accomplished by changing 1 file
> (style/advanced.css), including the menu (ok, the images have the
> background colors adjusted).
>
> Obvious changes:
> * content has a semi-fixed left-centered width ( width: 70%; min-width:
> 30em; max-width: 50em;). This should improve legibility.
> * General navigation is condensed into a menu just below the header.
> This makes it more obviously a part of the "standard" navigation, just
> like the section links above the header
> * Project navigation is right-centered. This makes content more
> prominent and reduces scrollbar-navigation mouse movements.
> * Revised colors. I like blue better then grey. The orange is mostly
> gone too. It's a testament for Craig's logo's that they still look good
> despite the change of background color, although Craig may want to
> adjust their colors slightly if this palette is regarded better.
>
> Anyway, I call this a concept to see what other people think of it.
> Currently only works in Gecko browsers (Mozilla, Firebird etc), Opera
> works partially and Konqueror doesn't. Maybe 3.2 is better. IE has no
> hope to function with this menu implementation short of javascript
> additions, which means adjusting all html. I'm considering some
> alternatives.
>
> All comments welcome of course.

Hey -- I like it. Maybe the single column tends to make things simpler for
your eyes - it seems easier to look at. In regards to one comment - maybe you
can make the "body" wider to take up some space on the right side. _Some_
wasted space, of course, is a good thing.

The color scheme is very nice. You might try an amber for the "mouseover" - it
may pick up the amber in the logo (selfish, I know) - you'll have to judge
that suggestion, though.  You should keep your "panels" from before for the
right side links though, those are a nice touch.

The boxes for the links in the "head" are a great improvement, and the
drop-downs at the top are a very cool addition. The "Linux From Scratch"
lettering in the banner has less contrast than before. Maybe its too subtle
now?  I should probably experiment if you decide to go forward with the new
colors, although its not too bad the way it is. Nice work.

Regards,
Craig