Redesign concept

Jeroen Coumans jeroencoumans at gmx.net
Tue Nov 11 10:39:52 PST 2003

Yeah I know, the current design is barely a couple of months old,
consider this a refinement (also based on the discussion with Bill some
time age):
http://linuxfromscratch.org/~jeroen/twocolumntest/lfs/news.html

All these changes are accomplished by changing 1 file
(style/advanced.css), including the menu (ok, the images have the
background colors adjusted).

Obvious changes:
* content has a semi-fixed left-centered width ( width: 70%; min-width:
30em; max-width: 50em;). This should improve legibility.
* General navigation is condensed into a menu just below the header.
This makes it more obviously a part of the "standard" navigation, just
like the section links above the header
* Project navigation is right-centered. This makes content more
prominent and reduces scrollbar-navigation mouse movements.
* Revised colors. I like blue better then grey. The orange is mostly
gone too. It's a testament for Craig's logo's that they still look good
despite the change of background color, although Craig may want to
adjust their colors slightly if this palette is regarded better.

Anyway, I call this a concept to see what other people think of it.
Currently only works in Gecko browsers (Mozilla, Firebird etc), Opera
works partially and Konqueror doesn't. Maybe 3.2 is better. IE has no
hope to function with this menu implementation short of javascript
additions, which means adjusting all html. I'm considering some
alternatives.

All comments welcome of course.

--
Groeten/Greetings,