Voting Booth/Poll

Jeroen Coumans jeroen at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Nov 9 14:29:55 PST 2003

Hi Bill Maltby, LFS Organizational. You said the following on 11/09/03
15:44:

> Do I make a problem out of what was not a problem? Could be. But maybe I
> only see a *potential* problem that has not been publicly discussed yet.
> This might be due to different POVs, background, objectives or
> experiences. Or it could be different standards of "acceptable level of
> quality", whatever that means to each of us.

I think LFS as Open Source, which often follows the following release
model: "Release Early, Release Often". Yes, there are exceptions (like
Mozilla and OpenOffice), but they have industry backup. We only have
users. And I think that the curious who want to try LFS will only try a
stable release. Which means that, until you release, problems will not
be found. A poll about the "releasability" doesn't have any advantage to
me for finding problems. Besides that, I don't think anybody expects a
"perfect" release like you make it sound. I even question the need from
the community to consult everyone via a poll if a release is good enough
to be released; most everyone relies on the developers, writes, QA to
know if a release is good or not.
PS Bill - I always appreciate your opinion. It often makes for very nice
discussions. I only wonder why we rarely agree on something? :-)
Regards,

FAQ and Website Maintainer