[Fwd: LFS Mirror]

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Nov 8 21:35:50 PST 2003

On Sat, 2003-11-08 at 13:57, Anderson Lizardo wrote:
> 1) Edit the mirrorlist.html file.
> 2) That's it.

Seems to be a good solution for mirror list maintenance. Now here's
something else to ponder about, there's no need for implementation quite
yet, not for another few weeks I think.

As you have read, mirror rsyncing has changed a bit. Especially when
Round Robin DNS starts being used, I need to be told when the core
mirrors (the ones responding to www.linuxfromscratch.org) become stale.
So I run a simple script that downloads the /timestamp/timestamp file
from each mirror and compares it to the master one and if it's too old,
print a warning.

Eventually I'd like to be able to comment out mirrors quickly. If we
have a flat mirrorfile (just one mirror URL per line without the
/lfs/news.html tagged on) it'd be a simple matter to comment out a
mirror line by, for example, putting a capital X as the first character
of that line (Xhttp://stalemirror). The script that builds the
index.html files can parse this file line by line and filter out lines
that match the "^X.$" regular expression.

This will help for me, I wouldn't need to manually maintain my own
mirror list, I can just check it out of CVS whenever the check-mirror
script runs.

Anyways, think on it. It will become something to implement in a little
while.

--
Gerard Beekmans
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org