Voting Booth/Poll

Bill Maltby, LFS Organizational bill at nospam.dot
Sat Nov 8 07:04:38 PST 2003

On Sat, 8 Nov 2003, Anderson Lizardo Gomes wrote:

> On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 00:12:05 -0700, Gerard Beekmans wrote:
> > On Sat, 2003-10-25 at 13:40, Anderson Lizardo wrote:
> > > I like gpoll. It's simple and flexible and is already XHTML 1.0 ready.
> > ><snip>

> I think you read the message related to a feature requested by Bill
> Maltby (something like "a feedback of LFS-PRE versions, to see if the
> book is ready for final release, from the user point of view". I hope I
> understood Bill's ideas fully). We've decided to discuss this on lfs-dev
> later, to see if there is some interest.

I'm not starting up the discussion again here, just passing on to Gerard
what was in mind.

Yes, you have it right. Gerard, my concern was a simple one. We have no
way to acquire any good indication as to whether something is ready for
a new state other than feedback from (mostly) a small clique of editors
and testers involved directly with the implementation of LFS.

As you are aware, stuff can be "pre-alpha", "alpha", "beta" and
"release-ready". For "pre-alpha" and transition to "alpha" and "beta",
our current process of polling interested parties may be sufficient.

But the decision process for "beta" to "release-ready" needs to be a
*slightly* more formal and have *some* kind of supporting numbers, IMO.
The numbers of interest to me are how many folks have actually tried the
install and their results.

So my thought was that some kind of "point-and-click" interface for
folks who had tried to install might provide some useful info. Something
very fast and simple and easy to see (web front page) to encourage them
to take the time. Basic elements would be a selection of version (or
an entered CVS version), success, failure, did you have to change
anything and optional notes. Or we could drop version and presume only
the current candidate.

Not sure if there would be 1) enough interest by the dev'ers, or 2)
enough use from the user community.

--
Bill Maltby,
LFS Organizational