Upcoming changes in use of the linuxfromscratch.org and www.linuxfromscratch.org domains

Jörg W Mittag Joerg.Mittag at Web.De
Fri Nov 7 12:36:41 PST 2003

Gerard Beekmans wrote:
> Some of you know already that there are plans on using Round Robin DNS
> to pretty much force people to use mirrors. The need for this was
> evidenced by the fact that yesterday the server sent out about 4 GB of
> data, compared to the normal 1.8-2.0 GB range. One day of this
> happening, no big deal, there is a bit of a buffer. But it's still
> higher than I like to see and if we use less, there will be more
> available for other things.

Well, I tried to urge everyone to only link to mirrors, and apparently
heise.de followed my suggestion, but others, like pro-linux.de linked
to the main server (and even bypassed the mirror selection page).

> There will be cases where you have to access the website on the LFS
> server itself and can't rely on random IP addresses. If needed you can
> access the website on the LFS server using
> http://www2.linuxfromscratch.org This hostname is already active but we
> may want to change it to something else that's more appropriate (I'm
> open for suggestions).

If you want a self-describing name: master.linuxfromscratch.org
Otherwise, use some Fantasy or SF character following that line,
something like yoda.linuxfromscratch.org, but more imaginative (-;

jwm
--
gdm-2.4.4.3% ./configure
checking for corrupt government... yes