Upcoming changes in use of the linuxfromscratch.org and www.linuxfromscratch.org domains

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Nov 7 11:49:35 PST 2003

Hi guys,

If you want to comment on this, use the website list.

Some of you know already that there are plans on using Round Robin DNS
to pretty much force people to use mirrors. The need for this was
evidenced by the fact that yesterday the server sent out about 4 GB of
data, compared to the normal 1.8-2.0 GB range. One day of this
happening, no big deal, there is a bit of a buffer. But it's still
higher than I like to see and if we use less, there will be more
available for other things.

Round Robin DNS will be implemented shortly. This means that
"www.linuxfromscratch.org" will return a random IP address of a list of
mirrors who will be part of the system. To make this work properly,
"linuxfromscratch.org" can no longer serve the website, else that will
defeat the purpose of this. But the linuxfromscratch.org domain can't be
used in the round robin DNS pool because it is used for other things as
well like DNS, SMTP, IMAP and the list goes on. Eventually we'll force
people to use proper subdomains like imap.linuxfromscratch.org and
smtp.linuxfromscratch.org but that has to be phased in slowly.

The other reason 'linuxfromscratch.org' won't be round robin DNS'ed is
the user dirs aren't mirrored and you need to access them. If
'linuxfromscratch.org' gets to a point where it will be RRDNS'ed, we'll
setup a subdomain for that (users.lfs.org/~username would work).

For now, update your links to use http://linuxfromscratch.org/~username
instead of http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~username And also update the
main website links to include 'www.' so the links continue to work.

I expect RRDNS will start being implemented during next week.

There will be cases where you have to access the website on the LFS
server itself and can't rely on random IP addresses. If needed you can
access the website on the LFS server using
http://www2.linuxfromscratch.org This hostname is already active but we
may want to change it to something else that's more appropriate (I'm
open for suggestions).

I hope everything is clear. If not, please follow up to
website at linuxfromscratch.org and we can discuss it in more detail there
if necessary.

--
Gerard Beekmans