Package distribution via P2P

Jason Gurtz jason at tommyk.com
Fri Jun 27 07:23:33 PDT 2003

Jeroen Coumans wrote:
> Jason Gurtz said the following on 27-6-2003 15:52:
>
>>Sorry, missed the start of the thread.  How about Bit Torrent?
>
> (Original message privately forwarded)

OK, thanks, got it.

> I don't have experience with Bit Torrent although I thought about it
> too. Do you know what is required to support that?

I've looked at it only briefly my self, but it seemed more geared to
somthing like distributed mirroring where the user knows exactly what
(s)he wants than things like kazza or the eDonkey thing which seem to me
geared more for finding/searching for somthing.  Also, though kazza and
them have multi-source DL developed now, torrent was developed from the
begining with that as a core feature.

I'm going to do some more research now and see what I can find (I've
started reading:  <http://smiler.no-ip.org/BT/BTtutorial.htm#server>).

Seems like the perfect thing cause it's also geared for a "click this
link here to download" type user experience.

This really seems like a great idea.  I'm rather surprised it hasn't
really come up seriously before.

Cheers,

~Jason