Website problems

Jeroen Coumans jeroencoumans at gmx.net
Fri Jun 27 05:03:32 PDT 2003

Gerard Beekmans wrote:
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~gerard/test.lfs.org-bitstream-vera-sans.png
>
> Whatever it is, much better than that Luxi Sans I've been looking at.
> Fonts in Linux is one of those black-arts to me. I never get around
> figuring them out. All I know is that I dislike the whole business. My
> xchat gets very slow when a channel buffer gets to be a few hundred
> lines when a TTF font is used. Maybe it's pango. Oh well that's for
> blfs-support, not here.

Yes those are the right fonts.
(OT: Setting up fonts in Linux the easy way:
* install latest freetype2 (www.freetype2.org)
* install latest fontconfig, xft2 and xrender  (www.fontconfig.org)
* install latest XFree86, latest QT and latest GTK2/Glib/Pango/ATK
* drop the MS fonts and the Bitstream Vera fonts in ~/.fonts or in
/usr/share/fonts

TTF fonts are actually quite fast now in Linux, esp. compared to Windows
XP's cleartype. Try setting the font to "fixed"; this should speed it up
considerably. If not, something's broken in xchat. If you need more tips
drop by at blfs-support. )

BTW I wanted to tell you:
my laptop's harddisk broke just now (lucky me I allready backed it up
completely). I'll need to send it in and it will probably take a couple
of weeks before I get a new one. Untill then, I'm working on an older
windows machine :(
I've allready transferred mail (yay for Mozilla) and internet. I'll
probably work on the website locally on belgarath via ssh, allthough
there's not much left to do. I have to share this machine with family so
my computer time is severely limited.

--
Groeten/Greetings,
Jeroen Coumans