News archive database recomendation (was: Re: Draft of archive_news.pl script)

Jeroen Coumans jeroen at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Aug 27 01:50:33 PDT 2003

Hi Anderson Lizardo. You said the following on 08/27/03 02:54:
> Jeroen Coumans wrote:
>
>>>It's possible, but to make sure that the newsid is unique, We have
>>>to use MD5 keys (ddce269a1e3d054cae349621c198dd52). Maybe you've
>>>seen something similar on news sites. Or we can add a "id" field to
>>>the database format.
>>
>>Ugh that's ugly :-(
>>We allready have an id for each newsitem. Can't we just use those? I
>>promise that they will all be unique (within one year of course :-) )
>
> So we have to add an id field to the news database format. The (I hope
> ;-) final "recomendation" will then be:

Looks easy to use and has all the features we need - great! :-)
I'd rather have an easily recognizable news id then an id that's
virtually not remembarable. Especially when people would like to
bookmark news id's or when they get referred from other sites we should
have some recognizable names.

> PS.: I think it would be better if we use a
> already-written-and-well-tested recomendation, but for now we can use
> the structure above. If we decide that is better to change to another
> standard, it's just a matter of write a script to do the conversion.

Hm; we could use RSS perhaps; we could then combine the lfs2rss.pl and
the newsarchiving. It would simplicate and optimize the site generation
too. But let's get a working solution first so we can launch the site
and do the beautifying in evolutionary steps (unless it would be easier
for you to do this right now, of course).

FAQ: http://linuxfromscratch.org/faq/ (faq at linuxfromscratch.org)