remaining system admin tasks

Jeroen Coumans jeroen at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Aug 25 23:42:20 PDT 2003

Hi Gerard Beekmans. You said the following on 08/26/03 00:49:
> Hi Jeroen,
>
> We started talking about this, but I got side-tracked and I can't find
> the thread where it started to reply to in my folder, so I'm starting a
> new one (sorry).

It's right here:
http://linuxfromscratch.org/pipermail/website/2003-August/000424.html

> You suggest making /home/httpd/beyond.lfs.org a symlink to
> /home/httpd/test.lfs.org/blfs

Correct.

> I don't quite like the idea of that though, from an asthetics point of
> view. Then you suggest renaming test.lfs.org to www.lfs.org. I admit I'm
> not fond of that idea: i prefer the web spaces seperated rather than
> being a mere subdirectory of www.lfs.org. It just doesn't give a nice
> feel to it, like it's only a small thing and doesn't even get its own
> area.

 From the outside http://linuxfromscratch.org/blfs would be the same as
http://beyond.linuxfromscratch.org. That's the beauty of the symlink.
I'm not sure what your objection is against this. We get all of the
advantages from the current/old system (seperate domains) and *also* all
the advantages you describe below. What's not good about the symlinks?
(similar links for hints, alfs, patches of course)

> But, I do understand that from a different angle it's much better: it's
> all better intergrated and BLFS (and others) won't see so stand-alone
> anymore (which I wanted to fix anyways) and I imagine it's easier to
> manage all the websites if they're all together, one stylesheet will do
> the trick (then again a symlink from /home/httpd/www.lfs.org/blah.css to
> /home/httpd/beyond.lfs.org/blah.css would work too).

(actually that latest statement is not true - reread my response in
http://linuxfromscratch.org/pipermail/website/2003-August/000424.html)

> Also, it makes mirroring less of a DNS issue. Every mirror just mirrors
> everything so we don't have to maintain 5 differnet mirror lists and DNS
> entries for them on the server-admin end of things.

That was one of the goals I had in mind when planning the layout for the
site.

> So, it does have benefits. Thinking about it and writing it out, I may
> just remove the beyond.lfs.org domain alltogether in the near future.

I also like the beyond.lfs.org and the other ones. The new site doesn't
prevent that. The symlinks I mentioned is a server-based way to keep
everything the same from a user-perspective. This is the way we should
convert to the new site - keep all old advantages and add tons of new
ones to them.

> So I guess we are set to go then. I just need to email the lfs-admin
> list (mirror admin list) and inform them of the change (and mirroring
> size) but I'm sure it's not going to be a problem.
>
> But before I can email, can you let me know if I got it all right or if
> there are other issues to deal with (excluding rsync things is clear
> already).

There are some absolute links to test.linuxfromscratch.org which should
be changed, allthough these can be taken care of last-minute (or later
if you redirect test to www).
But please note that news archiving is not implemented yet. I'm waiting
for Anderson Lizardo's updated script. See
http://linuxfromscratch.org/pipermail/website/2003-August/000479.html
for the first version.

Once that script is in place, we can go live.

FAQ: http://linuxfromscratch.org/faq/ (faq at linuxfromscratch.org)