Draft of archive_news.pl script

Anderson Lizardo andersonlizardo at yahoo.com.br
Mon Aug 25 19:50:44 PDT 2003

Jeroen Coumans wrote:
> I also suggest that once your script is updated to the new format, we
> rename generalnews.txt to the projectnews-YYYY.txt format, so it
> would become www/test/projectnews-2003.txt

Good. This also reduces the work of the script to re-archive old news
(The script will run faster with small databases).

> Also, do you have a method to automatically create the news id and a
> link to a permanent location of that id? Example:
> [cut]

It's possible, but to make sure that the newsid is unique, We have to
use MD5 keys (ddce269a1e3d054cae349621c198dd52). Maybe you've seen
something similar on news sites. Or we can add a "id" field to the
database format.