Draft of archive_news.pl script

Jeroen Coumans jeroen at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Aug 25 11:44:29 PDT 2003

Hi Jeroen Coumans. You said the following on 08/25/03 16:04:
> Hi Anderson Lizardo. You said the following on 08/25/03 04:11:
>
>> I've attached a tar.gz file with the following files:
>
> <snip>
>
>> Some observations/issues:
>> - The links on the website (including that on the news contents) are
>> relative URIs. Because of this, some links will become broken on the
>> news archives. As a workaround, I inserted a <base href="../../" />
>> tag on the archive-top.html file. But now, fragment links to the
>> current file, like "#header", will not work.
>

> Can the relative URL's be converted to static URL's in the script? This
> should make all links work again.
>
>> - This is a crude hack, and I recommend we use the method described in
>> http://archives.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/website/2003-August/000469.html.
>>

>> This script can be adapted to convert the current news to this format,
>> and I could write a script to parse it.
>

> Yes please, the above method is a lot better and also automates news
> page creation.  BTW I assume that method allows for multiple <p>'s? It
> wasn't really clear from your mail. And the above method will also
> automate the news page generation, right? (save for the scripts to
> generate them, but I can write those myself)
>
> I'll take care of creating the {project}/news.txt and the respective
> news/archive templates so you can focus on the script.
>
>> The lessons (or lectures?) at university begin tomorrow, so I will
>> have less time to work on LFS (basically, only weekends). But, as I
>> can see, the most important things on TODO (needed for page launch)
>> are done. :-)
>

> Good luck! Mine start next week, which leaves this week free to work on
> the last issues like the hardcoded templates. Just waiting to test them...
>
> BTW we can mail lfs-chat to see if there are other perl-coders willing
> to work on this if your time is that limited...?

BTW I updated the http://test.linuxfromscratch.org/website.html#todo for
the newsarchiving. Hopefully it's all clear and implementable :)

I also suggest that once your script is updated to the new format, we
rename generalnews.txt to the projectnews-YYYY.txt format, so it would
become www/test/projectnews-2003.txt

Also, do you have a method to automatically create the news id and a
link to a permanent location of that id? Example:

title: News title
author: Author Name
date: 2003/08/23
content:

Would become the following rendered xhtml snippet:

<h3 id="newstitle"><a
href="http://linuxfromscratch.org/news/lfs/2003/08.html#newstitle">News
title</a></h3>
<h4>Author Name - date</h4>

Hopefully we have worked out (documented) all issues concerning the
archiving now, except for the implementation of it all.

FAQ: http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/faq (faq at linuxfromscratch.org)