Draft of archive_news.pl script

Jeroen Coumans jeroen at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Aug 25 07:04:19 PDT 2003

Hi Anderson Lizardo. You said the following on 08/25/03 04:11:
> I've attached a tar.gz file with the following files:
<snip>
> Some observations/issues:
> - The links on the website (including that on the news contents) are
> relative URIs. Because of this, some links will become broken on the
> news archives. As a workaround, I inserted a <base href="../../" /> tag
> on the archive-top.html file. But now, fragment links to the current
> file, like "#header", will not work.

Can the relative URL's be converted to static URL's in the script? This
should make all links work again.

> - This is a crude hack, and I recommend we use the method described in
> http://archives.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/website/2003-August/000469.html.
>
> This script can be adapted to convert the current news to this format,
> and I could write a script to parse it.

Yes please, the above method is a lot better and also automates news
page creation.  BTW I assume that method allows for multiple <p>'s? It
wasn't really clear from your mail. And the above method will also
automate the news page generation, right? (save for the scripts to
generate them, but I can write those myself)

I'll take care of creating the {project}/news.txt and the respective
news/archive templates so you can focus on the script.

> The lessons (or lectures?) at university begin tomorrow, so I will have
> less time to work on LFS (basically, only weekends). But, as I can see,
> the most important things on TODO (needed for page launch) are done.
> :-)

Good luck! Mine start next week, which leaves this week free to work on
the last issues like the hardcoded templates. Just waiting to test them...

BTW we can mail lfs-chat to see if there are other perl-coders willing
to work on this if your time is that limited...?

FAQ: http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/faq (faq at linuxfromscratch.org)