New website - CVS log policy

Jeroen Coumans jeroen at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Aug 25 04:40:29 PDT 2003

Hi,
(In order to minimise the damage done by cross-posting, follow-ups only
to website at linuxfromscratch.org please)

As everybody should be aware of right now, a major feature of the new
website are the newspages. These will be our online "view in the
kitchen" of LFS-related development. See
http://test.linuxfromscratch.org/website.html#todo for a full
description of the newspages.

Anyway, the reason I crosspost this mail is a request for those with CVS
commit permissions:

please make your CVS logs meaningful in an online context!

There is only so much information which we're able to extract from CVS
and show on the website and this is necessary in order to make the
newspages usefull.The current CVS logs on the LFS, BLFS and hints
newspages are not (always) descriptive enough to get a real idea what
changes have happened (see
eg.http://test.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/news.html#changelog and
http://test.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/news.html#changelog and
http://test.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/news.html#changelog).

I've tried to give an example of a meaningful online CVS log at
http://test.linuxfromscratch.org/website.html#changelog.

As a guideline, try to write in the CVS commit log that which you also
write in the {B}LFS changelog.

Thanks,

FAQ: http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/faq (faq at linuxfromscratch.org)