Draft of archive_news.pl script

Jeroen Coumans jeroen at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Aug 24 04:26:15 PDT 2003

On Sat, Aug 23, 2003 at 12:04:10PM -0300, Anderson Lizardo wrote:
> Jeroen Coumans wrote:
> > We have currently 4 newspages: LFS, BLFS, hints and ALFS, of which
> > LFS and BLFS generate the most news. So for the archiving, what about
> > this:
> >
> > www/test/news/{b}lfs/YYYY/MM/index.html
> >
> > and for hints and ALFS perhaps:
> > www/test/news/{alfs,hints}/YYYY/Q{1-4}/index.html
>
> What is the mean of Q{1,2,3,4}? Is something like a quarter of a year?
> If so, I suggest something like "jan-apr" or "01-04" instead of Q1.
> IMO, it's more readable.

Hm, maybe you're right. How difficult is it to implement this?

> > This would make newsarchiving a symlink matter and people can
> > bookmark specific newsitems. Is this possible?
>
> Yep, but you have to make sure that you aren't repeating any "newsid"
> (the id attribute of each <h3 id="news_id">News title</h3>). I'm using
> this attribute as a UID for all news, so someone can bookmark a link
> like http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/news/lfs/2003/08/#thispage to
> access the "Page now updated" news item, or
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/news/lfs/2003/08/index.html, to view
> all news from that month.

Ok very nice. I'll add the uniqueness of the newsid to the newsfile so
when it's updated it will be remembered.

> And what about the general news? Do you have some archiving style for
> them?

Yeah, why not just www/test/news/YYYY/MM/index.html? On the web, this
would become www.linuxfromscratch.org/news/08/index.html.

--
Groeten/Greetings,
Jeroen Coumans