News archiving

Jeroen Coumans jeroen at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Aug 24 04:21:07 PDT 2003

On Sat, Aug 23, 2003 at 12:38:35PM -0300, Anderson Lizardo wrote:
> title: Another news
> author: Me
> date: 2003/08/21
> content:
>
> The most recent news goes on top. We can have the following files:
>
> www/test/news.txt (general news)
> www/test/lfs/news.txt (lfs-specific news)
>
> and so on.
>
> It's easy to write a Perl script the extracts the 5 most recent news of
> each section (lfs,blfs,alfs,etc.) and archive the rest.
>
> Jeroen, are you comfortable with this format? If you want something like
> this, I can write a script to convert the existing news to this format
> (It's just a matter of modifying the archive_news.pl script).

Yes, very nice. It also makes it easy for other people to add news and has
sufficient granularity to appoint people to different news sections (yeah,
we can have independant news :-) ).

I also like the way people can bookmark newsitems. We should make sure
that we provide bookmark links though, because right now one has to look
at the xhtml source to find the id's. This capability is also available
through the script?

--
Groeten/Greetings,
Jeroen Coumans