Draft of archive_news.pl script

Anderson Lizardo andersonlizardo at yahoo.com.br
Sat Aug 23 08:04:10 PDT 2003

Jeroen Coumans wrote:
> We have currently 4 newspages: LFS, BLFS, hints and ALFS, of which
> LFS and BLFS generate the most news. So for the archiving, what about
> this:
>
> www/test/news/{b}lfs/YYYY/MM/index.html
>
> and for hints and ALFS perhaps:
> www/test/news/{alfs,hints}/YYYY/Q{1-4}/index.html

What is the mean of Q{1,2,3,4}? Is something like a quarter of a year?
If so, I suggest something like "jan-apr" or "01-04" instead of Q1.
IMO, it's more readable.

> This would make newsarchiving a symlink matter and people can
> bookmark specific newsitems. Is this possible?

Yep, but you have to make sure that you aren't repeating any "newsid"
(the id attribute of each <h3 id="news_id">News title</h3>). I'm using
this attribute as a UID for all news, so someone can bookmark a link
like http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/news/lfs/2003/08/#thispage to
access the "Page now updated" news item, or
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/news/lfs/2003/08/index.html, to view
all news from that month.

And what about the general news? Do you have some archiving style for
them?