News archiving

Jeremy Utley jeremy at jutley.org
Fri Aug 22 12:57:48 PDT 2003

Jeroen Coumans wrote:
> Hi Anderson Lizardo. You said the following on 08/22/03 21:41:
>
>> Jeroen Coumans wrote:
>>
>>> I'm breaking my head trying to figure out how to implement the news
>>> archiving (see http://test.linuxfromscratch.org/website.html#todo).
>>

>> I've been playing with this TODO item, and I'm finishing a draft
>> script (I'm just finishing user interface and basic documentation).
>> It's not the best solution for this, but it's better than nothing... :-)
>

> GREAT! Once again, you come to the rescue! :)
>
>>> I'd prefer it if there were, say, 5 news entries per page and that
>>> new entries cause older entries to be moved to an archive.
>>

>> This feature is somewhat difficult to do without some server script...
>> But I will see what I can do about this ;-)
>

> Of course we can use server scripts as long as they have reasonable
> requirements (eg. don't require Gerard to install insecure software).
>

>>> But how can I implement this? And no, we don't have a CMS and we're
>>> not going to get one. This should be done with some scripts.
>>

>> Perl resolves everything ;-). IMO, CMS is not needed for the current
>> website purpose.
>

> I really regret I'm not able to script properly myself, but I'm afraid I
> lack the necessary brain functions to fully grasp the concepts of
> programming.

I sent this idea a bit ago, but never saw it appear on the list.  You
guys might be able to take some hints from this:

You could try a modified XML Format, and a perl script to parse it all:

<entry>
<title>Whatever</title>
<date>1/2/2003</date>
<text>whatever you want to say</text>
</entry>

Then, you could only grab the first 5 or so <entry></entry> sections.

I did this once in PHP, before I moved to MySQL for this stuff.

-J-