News archiving

Jeremy Utley jeremy at jutley.org
Fri Aug 22 10:32:39 PDT 2003

Jeroen Coumans wrote:
> I'm breaking my head trying to figure out how to implement the news
> archiving (see http://test.linuxfromscratch.org/website.html#todo).
>
> I'd prefer it if there were, say, 5 news entries per page and that new
> entries cause older entries to be moved to an archive.
> But how can I implement this? And no, we don't have a CMS and we're not
> going to get one. This should be done with some scripts.
>
> Have a look at CVS www/test and
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~jeroen/update-site-test.sh to see how
> the current newspages are assembled.

Jeroen -

You could try a modified XML Format, and a perl script to parse it all:

<entry>
<title>Whatever</title>
<date>1/2/2003</date>
<text>whatever you want to say</text>
</entry>

Then, you could only grab the first 5 or so <entry></entry> sections.

I did this once in PHP, before I moved to MySQL for this stuff.

-J-