News archiving

Jeroen Coumans jeroen at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Aug 22 12:50:12 PDT 2003

Hi Anderson Lizardo. You said the following on 08/22/03 21:41:
> Jeroen Coumans wrote:
>
>>I'm breaking my head trying to figure out how to implement the news
>>archiving (see http://test.linuxfromscratch.org/website.html#todo).
>

> I've been playing with this TODO item, and I'm finishing a draft script
> (I'm just finishing user interface and basic documentation). It's not
> the best solution for this, but it's better than nothing... :-)

GREAT! Once again, you come to the rescue! :)

>>I'd prefer it if there were, say, 5 news entries per page and that
>>new entries cause older entries to be moved to an archive.
>

> This feature is somewhat difficult to do without some server script...
> But I will see what I can do about this ;-)

Of course we can use server scripts as long as they have reasonable
requirements (eg. don't require Gerard to install insecure software).

>>But how can I implement this? And no, we don't have a CMS and we're
>>not going to get one. This should be done with some scripts.
>

> Perl resolves everything ;-). IMO, CMS is not needed for the current
> website purpose.

I really regret I'm not able to script properly myself, but I'm afraid I
lack the necessary brain functions to fully grasp the concepts of
programming.

FAQ: http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/faq (faq at linuxfromscratch.org)